Monday, October 18, 2010

Gravy made from Pot Roast Drippings

Since I am a woman with a full-time job, I often throw a roast into the crock pot before going to work. I found that if I remove the roast from the crock pot, I can dip the drippings out and add a heaping tablespoon of corn starch. Pop it into the microwave for 30 seconds; stir well and cook for another 20 to 30 seconds and I have gravy for the roast itself or to pour over mashed potatoes. It is so much better than using canned broth or bullion.

*Note: If you do this, it's best to dissolve the corn starch in a small amount of cold water before adding to the drippings. Any time you drop corn starch into very hot liquid, it makes the gravy lumpy. It partially cooks as soon as it hits the liquid and cannot dissolve properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment