Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Another Meatloaf

Yet, another meatloaf. The reason. I'm not a big meatloaf fan and my family is, so I continue to try to find a recipe that's more than just okay to me. It's funny because my family likes each one I make. It's me who has the "just okay" syndrome. Here is my latest attempt.


1 pound of ground beef (or ground chuck, it makes a little better loaf with less fat to drain off)
1 beaten egg
1 cup oatmeal, quick cook
2 tablespoons Worcester sauce (or barbecue or tomato paste.)
1/8 teaspoon salt, only if you don't use the Worcester, it already has enough to suit most palates.
1 tablespoon ground ginger (optional)
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon Milk
1 pkg. dry onion soup, Lipton's or equivalent

1 teaspoon olive oil (for texture and moistness)

topping: 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 teaspoon worcestershire and 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup.
 



Soak the onion soup and oatmeal in water (also add the milk) until thoroughly moistened (about 30 minutes). This is important otherwise you may endup with a loaf that is too soft and falling apart (like mine) after removal from the pan. Then combine the egg with the Worcester sauce and mix well before adding the rest of the ingredients and finally the meat.

Blend everything together with your hands until thoroughly mixed. Take your time. It's the key to a really great meat loaf. I can always tell by my family's reaction whether or not I spent enough time blending the ingredients.

Put in a microwave safe glass loaf pan. Smash it down until it's level. Put in microwave and cook on full power for 3 minutes. Then reduce power to 40 % and cook for another 10 minutes. Drain loaf at this point, if needed, and add topping. Microwave on 50% power for the last 10 minutes. My microwave is 1100 watts. It's important to use no more than half power to get an even cook all through the loaf.


This one was pretty good, but I'm on a mission. . .To make a meatloaf that is more than just "okay" or "pretty good". I'm sure I will be posting more.


1 comment:

  1. I can understand you. Sometimes I make things that my family finds really good but I am not thrilled about them. I am guessing you are a bit og perfectionist just like me. You do not compromise with good you want very good. This one though looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete