Thursday, June 16, 2011

Special Barbeque Sauce

Recently, I went to family reunion in South Carolina where we had a huge cookout. . . the menu was barbeque chicken and huge boneless ribs! The barbeque sauce was a unique color, but I knew I had seen it before. About 4 years at another reunion (also in South Carolina) we had the same sauce. When I asked about it, I was told you could only get it in South Carolina (I guess they don't have internet). This time, I remembered the name... It's Cattlemen's; Gold to be specific.

I don't know where the home office of the company is located, but I know they make these products.



Kansas City Classic™

Mississippi Honey BBQ™

Carolina Tangy Gold™

Memphis Sweet™


    I also know you can buy it at Amazon. I did check our local grocery stores and, sure enough, it's not there.

    Try it if you get a chance. It's really good!

    If you want to make something similar at home, here's a recipe.

    South Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce Recipe
     
    Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 35 minutes

    Use this sauce toward the end of barbequing the meat since the sugar will caramelize quickly and then burn. Wait until the last 20 minutes or so, and brush on a couple of coats, letting each coat cook into the meat a bit before adding the next one.

    INGREDIENTS
    4 Tbsp. butter
    1/2 onion, grated
    1/2 cup yellow mustard (the kind you get at the ballpark)
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp dry mustard (like Coleman’s)
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1 bay leaf
    Salt to taste

    PROCESS
    1 Heat the butter over medium heat until it's frothy, then add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Do not let the onions brown.
    2 Add everything else, stir well and simmer slowly for 30 minutes or more.
    Yield: About 2 cups.

    I think I found this recipe at SimplyRecipes.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment