Thursday, February 17, 2011

Portabello Mushroom Burger

I started dieting today and I decided to try this burger. I forgot to take a picture since I ate it at work for lunch, so I searched for a picture that looked the most like it. I had no idea there were so many recipes for a portabello mushroom burgers. The one in the picture to the right uses the mushroom as the meat.


Mine actually had meat in the middle and I used the mushroom as the bun, like the one pictured on the left.
I brushed both sides of each mushroom cap with worcestershire sauce and put them in the microwave for 45 seconds, just to lightly soften them.


Then I lightly sprinkled garlic salt on the inside of each cap. I made a reasonable sized patty from ground beef and cooked it in the microwave for 3 minutes. I drained the fat and patted with a paper towel. I placed the patty between the caps like a bun and added a slice of tomato and a couple of rings of onion and some lettuce. It actually was very good. The problem I had was that it was too big for my mouth. I had to take one of the portabello caps off.


I actually probably will make it again. Next time I will also try this ketchup recipe.


RAW KETCHUP
1/2 cup dried tomatoes, soaked in water 15 minutes
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon raw agave nectar
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt


Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Use ketchup to season a burger or serve with veggies and herbs.


Serves 3-4.


Apparently, this is also a vegetarian and raw food diet favorite. I am not a vegetarian so I used meat. Here is the raw food diet recipe.


PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM BURGER
2 cups cashews
3 carrots, coarsely chopped
1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup raisins or dates
1 teaspoon honey
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 bunch fresh dill
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar


Blend all ingredients in a food processor. Prepare portabello mushrooms by cutting out their stems. Fill mushrooms with pate. Add any of the following to complete the burger: tomato, red bell pepper, onion, lettuce, olives, chives, sprouts and some kind of savory sauce. Cover burger with leaf of lettuce or another mushroom. Garnish with herbs and serve with a side of veggies.


You can check out Markus Rothkranz' Raw Food diet here at HealthCures101.com.

*This is a HCG diet and Scarsdale diet friendly recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment