Monday, November 16, 2009

Crockpot Baked Potatoes


There are 2 kitchen appliances that I don't think get used to their full potential in most households. One is the microwave oven; the other is the crockpot.

I have a full-time job and I'm a lazy cook. I love to use both. One is quick and the other is slow but can have dinner ready by the time I get home!

My husband loves baked potatoes but he doesn't like them in the microwave. The stove heats up the house and uses so much electricity. Usually, I compromise and partially cook them in the microwave and then wrap them in foil and place them in the oven. The other option is the crock pot. They come out fluffy and tender, better than in the oven.

Crock Pot Baked Potatoes

Wash the potatoes and coat them with oil to keep the peel moist (I prefer olive oil). Place them in the bottom of the crockpot. If they are really big, you can cut some criss-crosses about a fourth of the way through to help them cook more evenly.

That's it! Cook on high power for the potatoes to be ready in a 1 1/2 to 2 hours or medium for 3-4 hours.

If they cook too long, their color will change but they are still good to eat.

You can use any kind of potato, even sweet potatoes. Try it!

1 comment:

  1. Never thought of this. I'll try as to the alternative I use wrapping in plastic wrap & nuking. Curious! Sounds like a great tip.

    ReplyDelete