Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chocolate Cream Peeps Pie


Easter is next weekend and I'm trying to find a desert that is fun for kids but satisfying for adults. My daughter always loved Peeps at Easter time. She would eat them until she was sick if I'd let her. When I saw this recipe, I knew I had found what I was looking for because I love chocolate cream pie! Hmmm. I wonder if I could make this in the crock pot.

Crust:
1 1/4 cups graham crumbs
1/4 cup melted butter
Filling:
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp. salt
4 large egg yolks
3 cups milk
1 cup chocolate chips
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 packages Peeps chicks, in contrasting colors
Preheat the oven to 325F. In a small bowl, stir together the graham crumbs and butter; press into the bottom and up the sides of a pie plate. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until pale golden around the edges.
Meanwhile, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa and salt in a medium saucepan. Set over medium-high heat and whisk in the egg yolks, then the milk. Cook until the mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips and vanilla. Let sit a minute or two, then stir until smooth. Pour into the pie shell.
Let cool for about 10 minutes, then set the Peeps in alternating colors atop the pie. Chill Completely before serving. Serves 8 .

No comments:

Post a Comment